Tuesday, July 14, 2009

From Good Stock





Today I had an older gentleman remark that I looked younger than my actual age. He thought that I looked like I should be in my early twenties. When I told him that I was actually on the downhill end of my thirties, he replied,"Well, you must come from good stock."









Which got me thinking about good stock. The definition of "stock" he was referring to is "the person from whom a given line of descent is derived." However there are many other definitions for the word "stock." For instance it can refer to the trunk of a tree or main stem of a plant, or the wooden piece to which the barrel and mechanism of a rifle are attached, or the raw material from which something is made (like cardstock), or even a broth that is a foundation for soups or sauces.





A-hah! Now that's something I can relate to. The stock can make or break a dish. With good stock you can make a hearty soup or a rich gravy, or even add flavor to simple things like rice or mashed potatoes. In a can, or the ever-so-handy resealable carton, I have my favorite brand. But it's so easy to make my own, that's often what I'll do.
















Strip a roast chicken of all its meat and what's left, toss into a big pot. Add an onion, a carrot, a celery stick, and a clove or two of garlic, if you like. Cover and simmer over low heat for a couple hours. Strain out all of the solid stuff, and you're left with good stock. You would be surprised how much better something will taste when made with your own stock.


These photographs are, from top to bottom: My Mother, My Father and Mother, My Maternal Grandparents, and my Great Great Great Grandmother(!). I guess I do come from some pretty good stock, actually.





















No comments:

Post a Comment