Wednesday, November 3, 2010



"I have a new job." To many, this statement seems pretty benign. To me, over the last few weeks, this change has made a PROFOUND difference in not only what I do each day, but in every aspect of my life and what goes on around me.




I have given up the 600-700 miles of driving each week, working as a sales consultant for a beauty supply company, that consumed me for 3 years. The scary part of that was that I really didn't realize how consumed I was. Now I work at the most beautiful spa that overlooks Lake Winnepesaukee. This is my view every day:




After I gave my notice, the first thing that changed was, I started to sleep. All night. No tossing, no turning, no waking up at 3:00 am panicking about whatever was going on with my job. My mood changed. I began to be able to hear myself think again. A few days later, driving my 11-year-old home from school, I was told, "Mom, you are WAY more chill now that you have your new job." Well, there it is.


My house got clean because I had energy and motivation again. Drawers and cabinets started getting organized because I wasn't totally overwhelmed when I opened them and saw the mess. I began to think creatively again. I pulled out my long-dormant sewing machine. The Peace Lily in my kitchen started to bloom.  It must have sensed the change too.


And best of all, I started to cook. Well, I cooked before, but only because these people in my house HAD to eat SOMETHING. I'm trying new recipes, making up my own, and cooking for the enjoyment of it! My sister bought me a cookbook/scrapbook that I look forward to filling with all the things my family loves, so my kids can fight over it when they're grown.


Last Sunday, my sister and I were helping my mom clean out her flower gardens for the winter, cutting down the perennials, digging or pulling the annuals that the frost had already gotten to. As I was pulling out marigolds under the kitchen windows, my nose caught a whiff of sage. Sure enough, those frost-blackened marigolds had protected a beautiful sage plant. From which I promptly picked myself a lovely bouquet.


Later, in the garage, My mom asked us to move a basket full of squash picked from her garden. As is her way, she said "Why don't you take a couple of those home...it'll make the basket lighter to move." Standing there in the autumn chill, this vision filled my head. I went home and made this:




Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter Sauce



1 Medium Butternut Squash
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
5 eggs
3 ½ Cups Flour
Pinch of Salt
2 Sticks Butter
25-30 Sage Leaves, cut into ribbons

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, halve, seed and cut squash into one inch cubes. Place in a 9 X 13” roasting pan. Drizzle squash generously with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, uncovered, about 50 minutes, until squash is fork tender. Allow to cool to room temperature.



In a heavy duty stand mixer, place 2 cups of the flour and the eggs. Using a dough hook on low speed, mix until the 2 cups of flour are completely incorporated with the eggs. Add additional flour by half cupfuls until dough will accept no more flour (you likely will not use all 3 ½ cups). Turn onto a floured surface and knead until a fingerprint depressed into the dough springs back. Wrap with plastic, and let rest while you finish assembling the filling.

Transfer squash to a food processor, and add the parmesan cheese. Pulse together until smooth.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Divide dough into six portions. Keeping the remaining portions covered, roll the first portion of dough in a pasta machine to a thickness of 5. Place rolled sheet on a floured countertop. Drop filling, by teaspoonful, onto dough sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each. Brush the edges and in between raviolis with a beaten egg. Roll a second sheet of pasta and place on top of first sheet and filling. Press down to seal in between each ravioli, and trying to remove any air bubbles, press edges together. Using a sharp knife, cut into individual ravioli. Place ravioli on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and sprinkled with flour, to hold while you assemble the remaining ravioli. (At this point, you could place the cookie sheets in the freezer for several hours and then place ravioli into a resealable freezer bag for later consumption). Gently drop the ravioli into the boiling water. After the water returns to a boil, cook for 6 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt 2 sticks of butter over low heat. Add sage leaves and continue cooking over low heat until you see the butter begin to brown (Watch carefully, as burned butter is not pleasant!). When ravioli is done, remove to a large platter, and spoon sauce and crispy sage over the top. Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired. Makes about 30 ravioli.






No comments:

Post a Comment